Monday, May 20, 2013

Copyright?

As a future teacher, I am so grateful for all the resources available to me and my future classroom. Thankfully I will not be traversing the world of teaching alone. My lesson plans will not have to be created from scratch, and I will not have to decipher the common core for the classroom on my own. There are thousands upon thousands of available resources for use. Praise Jesus!

However, I have been boggled by the daunting task of following copyright laws and regulations. Last thing this girl wants to do is to infringe upon copyright laws. Which is why I am happy that this week's class has focused on copyright and cooperative learning. I am especially happy that I was able to read the 4 fair use factors. I believe this will be valuable tool to use when deciphering what is an infringement and what is not. I can go through each factor: 1) What is the purpose of the proposed use? 2) What is the nature of the copyright work to be used? 3) How much of the copyrighted work will be used? 4) What is the effect on the market or potential market for the copyrighted works? Going through these factors, I can safely say that much of what I will be using copyrighted works are qualified as "fair use".

Furthermore, I never knew that Flickr has specific images that are free to use and easily cited. I am grateful to have learned about this tool as well.

Now how should I cite this knew knowledge gained? Oh no...

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Katrina,

    I was checking up on the blogs that I follow today, saw this and thought of you. It seems like a great resource for learning about and teaching copyright:

    http://www.teachingcopyright.org/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh thanks Brittany! I'll check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I join you in being thankful for the internet and its vast amount of resources that are available at our fingertips. Having help with lesson plans, lesson plan activities and questions about the common core lifts some burdens from my shoulders.
    To be honest I have never really thought about copyright issues. However, as I ask myself the 4 fair use factors, I too have decided that most of what I use qualifies for "fair use".

    Larissa

    ReplyDelete