Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Blogs, Infographics, and More

I feel like I am 85 years old and completely out of the loop in the technologically advanced world. Am I the only one that is overwhelmed by RSS feeds, blogs, infographics, google sites, etc. I had always considered myself technologically advanced. I am an avid typist. I understand facebook pretty thoroughly. I can navigate Prezi, power point, etc. I know how to set up audio for events and use HTML inputs. I am active on instagram and Vine.  Despite all these skills of mine, I am learning that I am far behind. We live in a world of bloggers, and I am not a part of it, although I am pretending to be for this class. I am one who suffers from writers anxiety. It kills me knowing that classmates of mine are going to read this very blog that I am typing at this moment.

YET

I

WILL

TREK

ON.

So, my dear colleagues, this week I learned about infographics!

I tried three different tools: piktochart.com, glogs, and infogr.am. I traversed through these websites and found piktochart to be a perfect fit for me. It had the look of a professional without the need for a pro. It was easy to use and I was able to create this.
I tried for ages to imbed the image into this blog. I was unsuccessful. I'd appreciate any tips on that lovely 21st century skill.

I can see myself using infographics to make newsletters for my classroom and school. I think it can be an effective communication tool for getting condensed information across to a wide audience. We will see if I have time to utilize this amidst grading, lesson planning, and mounds of paperwork.

4 comments:

  1. I have also begun to realize that I am not quite as technologically savvy as I thought before this class. Like you mentioned I use many of the social media tools and felt that I knew a lot about technology. However, the new technologies we are learning about in this course are things I have never considered before. And as for blogging, I am a rookie at that too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Katrina don't feel bad -I'm MUCH closer to 85 than you and I'm getting swamped by this course! But, you are right - everyone is being great about helping everyone else - We Shall Overcome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you are WAY too hard on yourself! your infographic looks amazing. I didn't like piktochart as much because I am one of those ppl who will get overwhelmed with all the options and shapes and images and omg I will end up wanting to use everything and having a mess. I think new technology can always feel overwhelming at first, but the more you play with it the easier it gets. For example, I already dislike smartboard. I have terrible handwriting and when I try to write it will emphasize my scribbles (aka letters). Don't feel alone, technology overwhelms us all. Onward =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Katrina, like the others have said we all feel the same way. BTW, your blog is one of my favorites visually. I love the theme and the layout.

    ReplyDelete