Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Curt Bonk

I am continually troubled by what I have read thus far from Curt Bonk. I am not a person to question everything about technology and assume it is the detriment to us all, but Bonk seems to not question much about technology and assume it is the savior for us all. He takes his ideas so far as to imagine a world where education no longer takes place in the constraints of the classroom. His imagined world replaces faces and places with screens. While I have found immense value in the online education I have taken part in, it is far inferior to that of an actual classroom. I find value in the sense of place. It is important to be in a classroom, with a teacher and classmates for education. It is important to go to an actual library to check out a book. It is important to drink coffee at a coffee shop and meet your barista. It is important to tap into all your senses for experiences in life, when possible. I want to be able to smell, hear, taste, feel, and see a classroom when I am learning ( not really sure about taste, but you get the idea). I also believe in expertise and mentorship. Bonk would refer to individuals having access to lectures and other learning opportunities at the tips of their fingers. Can you really learn all that one has to offer in a lecture online? What about a professor's mentorship? What about office hours?

I do understand that not everyone has the privileges for this type of learning. It is a benefit that someone can obtain a degree online, and have much more access to learning than we ever thought possible in the past. I do recognize the vast benefits for education in regards to technology. Bonk, however, takes it too far. In all of our reading for this week, Bonk was optimistic throughout. He had no critiques. He never questioned if technology can go too far. He equated quick access, instant sharing, and the like with improved learning. I really cannot get on board.

4 comments:

  1. I'm in agreement with ones needing to learn with all of ones senses. For my personal experience as a learner, I don't always learn well from a screen. For one of my students last semester, he was only focused when he had a sensory experience to ground him. The medium sometimes frustrated and fatigues me. But for our students today, I can see that they need as much *learning* experiences as they can, just to stay current with their peers. Learning experiences, that is, not (as Heidi pointed out) just playing video games. The mere presence of technology does not create a better learning experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katrina,

    I totally agree that at some point there should be a critique of the increasing technologies and the things they do to limit us to in using them. I think that the idea of using technology in the classroom is just like anything else. Each tool and strategy should be assessed for both their strengths and weaknesses and the ways they can benefit our learners in the classroom as well as harm them. I do not feel that technology is the savior of us all, but if used correctly I think that it has the power to extend the opportunities and experience of our students to possibilites outside of what takes place in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katrina,
    I think you make a really good point. I have to admit that as I was reading the material by Bonk I also noticed that he discussed only the positive possibilities, and definitely put technology on a pedestal. I also really like the point you make about the other aspects of education. You can learn all the material you want to online, but there are definitely some parts of learning you can only do in person. I really hope that Bonk will address this later in the book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Evelyn,
    Yes, I feel a little premature by critiquing him this early on, without actually having read his book. Hopefully he will offer some critiques or downfalls of technology for learning, because I definitely think they are there and should be discussed.

    ReplyDelete