Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Flipping the Classroom

I think one of the most valuable pieces I will take from this class is the idea of flipping a classroom. I will admit, when I first started researching about this topic, I was VERY pessimistic. It seemed to virtualize the classroom even more than what I was already comfortable with. I am already very weary of technology in education and am slow to embrace the newest technology out there. Only 3 months ago, I still had a flip phone (and am considering going back). Despite my reservations with technology, I was pleasantly surprised by all that flipping the classroom had to offer. The benefits far outweighed the negatives. The positives are as follows:
- Class time spent more effectively
-Students are more engaged with the "lecture" at home
-The issue of students not doing their homework is almost completely diminished
-Classroom management is improved
-Teachers can spend more one-on-one time with students
-Large class size stress is greatly reduced
-Room for more collaboration

There are pretty strong positives in my mind, and they are hard to ignore. Very hard. I am seriously considering doing this for my future classroom. Now I have the fun task of thinking through how to do this in an elementary setting in the best possible way. I envision a lot of station work revolving around one unit lesson video, with videos of the instruction for each station set up, while I circulate throughout the room and enable my students for success as best as I can. This is an exciting picture in my mind. I desire to create learners that take ownership of their learning and pursue their unique interests. I believe a flipped classroom would enable this vision even further.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you have found a technology application that you want to implement! See Sharon's blog for a video of the local elementary teacher who has implemented flipping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katrina,
    I was initially a sceptic about all of the technologies being brought into the classroom, too. After taking this course, however, I can see the true value of many of them - flipping being the most intriguing! I would also love to see flipping in an elementary setting. Maybe during our internships our teachers would agree to flip one subject. Might be worth a try!
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete